Stella

Stella

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Follow-up with Neurologist - Seeking a Second Opinion


We are extremely upset and feel completely lost and broken.  Yesterday, it had been 5 days since Stella started on the powerful seizure medication (Phenobarbital).  We had waited all this time to finally speak with her Neurologist, which we understand was unavoidable and just bad timing.  Unfortunately we have had a serious communication breakdown with the Neurologist and the conversation we had with her last night has left us extremely uncomfortable.  We are very concerned about Stella’s current catatonic state and condition and we are now left wondering if she is on the right treatment plan.  I won’t go into details about our conversation with the Dr. C. but suffice it to say that we have decided that we need to seek a second opinion.
 
We have made an appointment for this Thursday, two days from now, with another Neurologist.  Incidentally this second Neurologist is one we have gone to before years ago with two of our other dogs.  When Stella started having seizures we felt it was important to keep all of her healthcare under one roof, at the specialty hospital, and at the beginning we did not know if the seizure activity was related to her cancer issues and wanted to be close by to her oncologist so we made the decision to see the Neuro at this same facility.  As I stated in a previous post – all the veterinarians contributing to her current health issue (Oncologist, Neurologist, our regular vet and the ER vets) all agree that this seizure activity is a completely unrelated to her cancer history.

For the next two days until we see the second Neurologist we will abide with the suggestion of the first Neuro that we reduce the Phenobarbital dosage to half her current dose.

We are hopeful that the second Neurologist can provide more clarity with Stella’s condition and can lead us on the right path….whatever that may be.

Meanwhile Stella's condition remains the same; very worrisome.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Irene:
    I am so sorry to hear about Stella's horrible luck with her health. I was wondering if you had any updates on her? My boxer, Bitsy, just had a MCT removed. My husband and I are concerned that our other boxer might have the same issue. Is Stella MCT free? I wish you nothing but the best and I am glad to have someone online who has posted about their experience. It has given my husband and I quite a bit to think about. I hope all is well with you and your pooches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RK - I apologize for being so late in responding. Stella is doing great and I am trying to get her blog updated to current day! I hope Bitsy is doing well. Sending you good karma.....

      Delete