Stella

Stella

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Opinion on Second Opinions

I just wanted to take a moment and throw in my two cents about seeking a second opinion.

I am a firm believer in educating oneself as much as possible when making decisions.  Not only doing as much research as possible but also seeking opinions from experts as well as from family and friends.  People will differ with their opinions but I find that helpful because different perspectives will give you insight into things you may not have even thought of and the more information you have the better the choices you can make, the less second guessing you will do and the less regrets you will hopefully have. 

Unlike with a home or a car many people seem to be apprehensive in seeking a second opinion when it involves a doctor, whether for themselves or their pet, because they worry about hurt feelings or insulting a professional.  They feel an awkwardness will ensue and relationships may be irrevocably broken.  My opinion is that true professionals will encourage you to make an informed choice.  If someone is insulted or offended by your desire for a second opinion you probably do not want to do business with them anyway.  Professionals should always want what is best for you or your pet and that should be the bottom line for everyone involved.  In my experience I find that if I seek a second opinion or sometimes multiple opinions, regardless if I agree with all or some or none of them, the more confident I feel about the choices I make. 

In Stella's case we would still need to bring her back to the specialty hospital to see the Oncologist so the fact that we may ultimately decide against having their Neurologist treat her may seem, to some, a potentially awkward situation.  To us, we are comfortable with the knowledge that we are dealing with professionals and do not anticipate that seeking a second opinion elsewhere would pose any problem.

I guess I'm just trying to say do whatever is necessary for you to feel good about your choices.  Educate yourself, write down and ask hard questions, but also know that often times there are no right or wrong answers and sometimes you just have to go with your gut instinct. 

And one last thing……..if you don’t like that last haircut you got (and paid for), go to someone else.  Don’t even think twice about hurting someone’s feelings – you’ll look ridiculous…..literally.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment